Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find information about the teaching degree in computer science at the university of Duisburg-Essen?
For a summarizing overview see the computer science entry in the teaching degree wiki of the centre for teacher education (available only in German language).
- Do I also build up skills concerning school-related software products during the study?
Partially. You will learn dealing with school-related programming languages (eg. Java) in the context of programming courses. In computing education courses you learn to know school appropriate learning and programming environments. Furthermore, you will get in contact a lot in many courses throughout the study with the learning management system Moodle, which has great importance also in the school system. In addition, there is a wide variety of tools, such as operating systems (Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, ...), office products (Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, ...), markup languages (HTML, LaTeX, ...) and others, whose competent usage is tacitly expected of you, without having been subject of courses. The ZIM of the University of Duisburg-Essen offers supplementary courses (in German language only) on these topics. You will need to be a competent user of a variety of such products in school. So prepare yourself during your studies!
- I do need an advise because of a concern. Can I just come over?
We recommend prior appointment via e-mail or phone if you want to be sure we have time for you.
- I am a computer science teacher and would like to receive information about computing education and about computer science offers for secondary school students - what to do?
Please register at our newsletter for computer science teachers (Information is sent out in German language only).
- I want to do an external doctorate in computing education - what to do?
Take a look at the current doctoral degree regulations (Dr. rer. nat., Faculty of Economics), if you meet the personal requirements for a doctorate in computing education at the University of Duisburg-Essen. Since this information is only available in German language, contact us, if you need help. Dissertations can be written in German or in English language. Take look at at least three completed dissertations in computing education to get an insight into possible approaches. Then contact us.